This past semester, I spent 108 days in New York City, living, learning, working and interning. Out of those 108 days, my guess would be that I spent about 65 days adjusting to this big, crazy, loud, chaotic, amazing city. There’s a lot to love about New York, and I owe this place an infinite number of "thank yous" for teaching me some very important life lessons. (Disclaimer: This post is long, but I think it's a worthy topic and I hope you do, too!)
1. Most people aren’t out to get you
For as long as I can remember, New York City has had a reputation of being harsh and unforgiving, having a real survival-of-the-fittest vibe to it. Up until the day I moved into the city, I had people reminding me to be careful, to always zip my purse, to remember look over my shoulder when I’m walking down the street, to never go anywhere alone at night. While that reputation may not be entirely inaccurate and I don't think that those warnings were too extreme, I didn’t find the Big Apple to be as big, bad and scary as everyone makes it out to be. Sure, there were instances of cat calling and some questionable run-ins with strangers on the subway, but that can happen anywhere. Those experiences taught me to toughen up and develop a good poker face, but all of the other experiences I had taught me that when push comes to shove (literally, on the streets and subways of New York), most people are not out to get you.
2. There is great beauty in silence and personal space
It’s no secret that New York is loud and crowded, but coming from a quiet, relatively rural small town in Western Massachusetts, the sheer volume of noise and people took me a while to get used to. Never again will I underestimate the value of all of the years I've spent sleeping in a quiet bedroom and living in an area full of green and open spaces.
3. It’s OK to do things by yourself
Yes, you read that right. At first, it felt weird to get lunch, go to a movie or explore New York alone, especially after coming from a college campus. But in a city of over 8 million people, you would be surprised how many people do things by themselves. Not only is everyone on a different, and often very tight, schedule, but sometimes you just need a little time away from other stressed out people, even if those people are your friends, to unwind and recharge. Next time you want to check out a cool new exhibit at the Met, go for a walk through Central Park or head down to SoHo for some shopping but no one is around to go with you, go anyways. It’s not uncool and you won’t look like a loser, I promise.
4. Creativity is key
This simple lesson can apply to virtually every aspect of life in New York City. From figuring out the right amount of money to add to your MetroCard--after factoring in the bonus money that the MTA gives you--so that you don’t have a weird amount left over and going to waste, to learning how to cook cheap and healthy meals that are easy to pack for lunch (and on which nights to cook them), to crafting the best route to get from point A to point B when the subway line you wanted to take is running with severe delays, to squeezing an extra rent-paying roommate into your apartment, sometimes you have to think outside of the box. A little creativity can go a long way.
5. Willpower truly is a superpower
I dare you to walk down any block of New York and not find something tempting to purchase. With endless amounts of incredible food and more shopping options than you would even believe, willpower becomes a true superpower. Now don't get me wrong, an occasional splurge is sometimes greatly needed and well deserved, but pick and choose wisely. If you save now, your bank account will thank you later.
6. A deep breath can fix almost any situation
It’s 9 p.m. You worked at your internship from 9 to 5, and then went to class for a few hours. You’re exhausted, and all you want to do is get home, tackle your pile of homework, and hit the hay. You get on the subway (which is still crowded despite it not being rush hour), so you quietly wedge yourself into a corner and watch the stops roll by… that is, until someone yells at you for taking up too much space and shoves you out of the way. Or, maybe, you received a less-than-stellar review (or no review at all) on an assignment that you put tons of time and effort into. Maybe, if you're like me and only five feet tall, you took one too many elbows to the head when you were trying to get through a crowd. Or, maybe, it’s something less dramatic. Maybe, the general commotion of the city is starting to take its toll. Take a deep breath (or 10)-- you’ll feel better.
7. Hard work does pay off... but you have to work really, really, really hard
For a rare few individuals, it may have just been good luck and good timing, but most people have incredibly inspiring stories about how they got to where they are today, and they're often modest about just how hard they worked to get there. Some people worked multiple jobs to make ends meet. Some people worked crazy hours and only went home at night to sleep. Some people took a job that didn't pay nearly enough because they knew it would put them one step closer to achieving their end goal. Whatever the story may be, it's unbelievably motivating to wake up each morning and know that you're surrounded by some of the most dedicated, ambitious and hardest-working people in the world.
8. It’s OK not to love every second of every day
Heck, it’s OK not to love New York City at all! Someone very wise once told me that learning that a place isn’t for you is just as successful of an outcome as learning that you love it there. Just because you don't love every second of every day doesn't mean that you don't love New York, and it certainly doesn't make you any less of a New Yorker.
9. Life is a balancing act (in general and on the subway)
One of my goals for the semester was to be able to ride the subway without holding on to anything. While I didn’t quite get to that point (I have sub-par balancing abilities), I learned how to balance other things in my life, whether it be balancing work with school, or school with free time or all three. With so much to get done, and so much to do and see in New York, it's important to budget your time well, while also leaving ample downtime to relax before another hectic week begins.
10. If you can live here, you can live anywhere
New York taught me more than I could possibly fit into this list without boring you to the point of never wanting to read my blog again. It taught me to be tough. It taught me to be brave. It taught me to take risks. It taught me to think of myself as a professional. It taught me to worry less about the things that are out of my control and focus more on what I can change. It taught me that, no, leggings are not usually an acceptable form of pants. It taught me to think and work quickly and to commit to my decisions. It taught me to trust my instincts. Living in New York was a crash course in life, and I truly believe that if you can live here, you can live anywhere.
Thank you for an unforgettable semester, New York City.


No comments
Post a Comment